Monday, November 28, 2011

Reflection on my last semester

3 more days to end of uni life! As I have 12 days to prepare for my final paper, I studied at my own pace, and began to reflect (as usual) on the things I've done for the past semester..

Being alone in school most of the time has set me thinking of the people that are worth my effort to get in touch with but have not done so. That explains my incessant meet-ups with friends :D

These 13 weeks have ended so quickly that I felt Rag Day 2011 had just occurred. Nevertheless, I have made some new friends in my last semester! It is really different dynamics when it comes to interacting with the junior batch. Being much more academic-focused, our conversation topic will surely involve modules. Being much more competitive, they will compare their results for certain quizzes and start lamenting their lower chances of getting better grades. However, I am glad that some of them made me realize there are still good sheep among their batch. Whenever I am in doubt with some concepts, some of them will still stay back and explain to me. It makes my remaining uni life not as cold and lonely as I thought :)

Out of all modules, the most memorable one should be optimization. Being lured in by my dear fyp mate, I thought the module would be rosy enough to end off my semester with a slack life. However, the profs decided to increase the workload this sem, so much that I found it really tough to cope! It was surely comparable to design project, as I spent numerous nights taking the last BTC home, and even took midnight taxi ride in one of the nights! It was indeed an unforgettable experience, having to work with a phd student and my fellow yr 5 batch mate. I certainly enjoyed all the dinner sessions discussing everything under the sun, and the intensive troubleshooting times when all of us came together and solved the problems! We even championed the presentation by my imitation of The Noose's Barbarella, where we received good accolades from peers and the two profs!

The worst day during the sem should be on 8 Nov, where I had to stay up with my group to work on the opti ppt slides due in two days' time. As I have a golden rule of not having to slog on my birthday, I broke it on that night, where I spent my 23rd birthday 12mn alone on the train. However, it was really comforting to see so many wishes, especially the sms-es, that flowed in continuously.. I am certainly blessed to be surrounded by so many friends :)

Moving on to job search, I am still looking for one. Despite sending out so many applications, I have only been to two interviews so far. "Times are bad", that's what I thought. Well, there's still annual career fair in January to look out for! Let us hope that my job can be secured by then! *praying hard*

In the midst of job hunting, I am glad that one of the juniors actually assisted me in keeping a look out for jan intakes. In return of his favour, I volunteered to help him vet his fyp report. Haha hopefully my comments will be useful!

To sum up, my last semester has been a very peaceful one. Not much ups and downs, except for a few incidents that changed my perception of some people, be it good or bad.. Here are my belated birthday wishes:

May the people I care for obtain what they want in life, and hope that everything I do will go as smoothly as I want it to be.
And most importantly, hope I can become a better person through Lamrim! :)

No comments: