Monday, December 13, 2010

OMAK

Decided to do a revamp to my blog. Hence, I've decided to erase all my previous entries.

From now on, I'll be sharing all my heartfelt comments over certain issues, events or anything that I chance upon that is worth sharing. Hope that everyone will learn something from every entry that I post.

In my first entry, I want to share with everyone a very useful tool in life - Observing Merits Appreciating Kindness (OMAK). I learnt this in one of my Buddhist teaching classes, and I found it very applicable to the way we treat people.

OMAK is a way to make the people around you feel happier, as you start to appreciate every little act that they have done for you. Initially, I found my mum very naggy as she kept repeating her words of concern every other day. I also couldn't tolerate her scoldings. However, after learning OMAK, I started to look at her strengths and merits, and realized that everything she did was for my own good. She wakes me up everyday, teaches me how to be a better person albeit in the way of lecturing me, and most importantly, takes care of me throughout my life. Now, after observing all these, her demerits do not seem that bad anymore haha.

I believe in the law of reciprocity. If you treat someone well, the person will do the same for you. Hence, OMAK is a way to start liking people through your actions, so that everyone will like you. For instance, a Japanese scientist Masaru Emoto did an experiment on water. The experiment showed that if you care for someone/something, the person/object will feel the love, and grow well.

It sounds quite unbelievable, so I conducted an experiment myself on cooked rice. I realized that the bottle that I kept saying "I like you" and "thank you" grew into golden rice, whereas the one that I kept saying "I hate you" turned into black mould. This discovery was indeed amazing, and from then on, I decided to treat everyone differently.

Keep saying thanks and appreciate what others have done for you will really make their day. Apply it in your life and you'll see everyone in a different light.

No comments: